Many adult orthodontic patients have chosen to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their overall appearance. Adults are taking advantage of the new technologies to receive orthodontic care and now you can too.
Some of the most common reason why adults should consider orthodontic treatment include:
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly. A bad bite can cause damage to the teeth and gums, and is often responsible for TMJ (jaw joint and facial pain) and migraine headaches
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
- They want a more beautiful smile
- They want to correct shifting in their teeth that has occurred since having braces as a child
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR ADULTS
For many adults , the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage the for receiving treatment. However, today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic and customized to meet your needs. Types of orthodontic appliances include:
- Clear ceramic braces
- Self ligating braces
- Lingual braces ( braces behind the teeth)
Dr Rodriguez extensive training and experience in using Incognito® (lingual braces) enable her to treat even the most complex orthodontic problems with this invisible technique. Dr Rodriguez is the only certified provider in the Mackay region.
The main difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontic for children and adolescents, is that in younger patients the jaws are still developing. For adults these bones have stopped growing, which may mean the possibility of orthognathic surgery to align the jaws. Other difference include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) —Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth —Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen —Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments and that your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth —Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence —Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- An ideal bite is a healthy bite –teeth that fit together properly experience less wear and tear. A proper bite makes a person less susceptible to migraine headaches, joint and jaw pain.
- Mouths left untreated can get worse —Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics please contact our office to schedule a consultation. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each visit is as convenient as possible.